Monday, March 29, 2010

Festive Eggplant just thrown together.

Dear Babyboomers and others

R wrote "Have you ever had one of those days when you're hungry but don't want to leave home? The closest market is 20 minutes from our house. So I started with ingredients and The Silver Spoon. Just threw this together with odds and ends and page 514. Lovely.                 

Clara - G would say "How can Eggplant be Festive?  It is a designer vegetable - it is not real, like carrots and beans.  But because I am married to a creative woman, I eat it and enjoy it, but let me tell you, when I cook, there ain't no eggplant or whatever you call it  - Aubergine!!!, a made up name even."     
Clara - Yes I know exactly what you mean  - sometimes I need to just use whatever is in the frig.  When G first started to cook once a week, he used to say things like "Where are the carrots, beans, etc, why don't we have any ?????? etc;  it took a while, but when I explained that the best cooks use whatever is in the frig and that this is a measure of their culinary creativity, we moved forward.  Once a week, towards the end of the week I cook exactly this way, in order to clear the produce for the next week.

Festive Aubergines  - to serve 4
Preheat oven 180C - 350 F - Brush an ovenproof dish with olive oil.  Slice 4 small eggplants lengthways without cutting all the way through (cut off the stalk first).  Place alternate slices of tomato (4 large),  and mozzarella cheese thinly sliced, (250 g/9 oz) between each eggplant slice and the next.
Mix together, 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped), parsley and basil and sprinkle over, drizzle with olive oil, S & P.  Cover with foil - bake 45 mins.  Serve with juices on top.  
Chow Clara        

Looks scrumptious

 
To view or add comment, click on comments at bottom of page or send an email - clara@babyboomerconnections.com.au
 or visit my website at http://www.babyboomerconnections.com.au/

1 comment:

  1. Well, I was going to give you a little history lesson on eggplant for G till I googled it and found a veritable book about it. So here's the info if you're interested.
    http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch67.htm
    I say it one more time Google is Great! GIG.
    My meal was great too, even though I ate it alone as B is on assignment in Tennesee. I emailed him the pictures too just to keep his thoughts on home.
    Today I'm off to lunch with Andrea. It's her 31st birthday! That's right, 31 years ago I was on my way to the hospital and a new life for her and for me. We're lunching at Brookfield Square of all places, at Bravo. Not because it's so great but because it's close to USA Baby. We're also going to the bookstore to buy some children's books. Our favorite one is Goodnight Moon. Maybe that's why I'm a rhymer. I read that to her every night for years along with Mother Goose. So have a great day, I've had my say.

    Love

    R

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is valued. If you don't have a Google account you can comment as 'anon' by choosing from the dropdown menu.